As a woman ages, her skin can suffer—blemishes, dark spots, dry patches and the ever-dreaded wrinkles appear on foreheads, around the eyes, mouth and even along the backside of the hands. Some days it can feel as if an evil fairy godmother waved her Wrinkle Wand, making you feel less than beautiful and yes, even old.
Market researchers report that skin care is the most important category in the global beauty market. In the United States, more than $33 billion was spent on cosmetics and beauty products in 2010. Some anti-aging products may delay the development of wrinkles and other aging signs; however, simple things like drinking more water may be effective as well.
Hydration for skin care
The Mayo Clinic recommends women drink nine cups (2.2 liters) of water daily for optimum health. Skin is the body’s largest organ and keeping it properly hydrated can help it appear healthier and more radiant.
Too little water in your daily diet can contribute to dry, flaky skin. The doctors at UW Health (University of Wisconsin-Madison) reveal, “Dry skin has less resilience and is more prone to wrinkling.” Keeping hydrated daily is essential to your overall health and may be a key element to fighting wrinkles and other age-related skin issues.
More than just drinking water
Increasing your daily water consumption will increase your overall hydration and can help your skin’s health. However, the best skin care to minimize wrinkles and other signs of aging include a regular skin care routine.
- Use a hydrating moisturizer in the morning that also contains sunscreen. Apply it after bathing, when the skin is supple for the best absorption.
- Protect skin from damaging UV-rays—always wear sunscreen (especially on your face) when outdoors, even in winter. Hats help to shade the face from sun damage as well.
- Apply a nightly moisturizer before bed to soften skin overnight. Look for greaseless products that won’t clog pores.
- Limit alcohol consumption; it dehydrates.
- Make up tip: avoid using heavy foundation as it can emphasize wrinkles and other skin imperfections. Opt for lighter weight makeup that blends with your natural skin tone.
You are never too old or too young to begin taking care of your skin. With proper care, your skin can be as beautiful on the outside as you are on the inside.